5.20.2010

Product Review: Gluten Free Pantry French Bread & Pizza Mix

About a month ago (maybe a smidge longer...the past few months have whizzed right by), I was contacted by a representative of Glutino/Ian's Foods/Gluten Free Pantry about whether or not I had any interest in receiving and reviewing a few of their products. I didn't even have to think about it! I'm always interested in trying new things in my search for easy, delicious, gluten-free staples.

I received a glorious package with the following inside:

  • Gluten Free Pantry French Bread and Pizza Mix
  • Gluten Free Pantry Chocolate Chip Cookie and Cake Mix
  • Glutino Breakfast Bars in Strawberry and Cherry
  • Ian's Gluten-Free Animal Cookies

The Hubby and I decided to try the French Bread and Pizza Mix first. We've tried several times to make gluten-free pizza at home, either with a mix or a pre-made frozen crust, all with mediocre results. Either the crust was too dry, didn't cook correctly, or just plain tasted like cardboard and/or glue. However, with this mix, THIS is what we ended up with:


That is beauty if I've ever seen it. 

The last dough we tried required rolling out...and it was REALLY FREAKING HARD. 

However, the Gluten-Free Pantry mix created dough that did not have to be rolled out and was spreadable - especially after we (and by "we" I mean The Hubby because I had no brain function left after my thesis...and he's awesome) figured out that if greasing a spatula or other spreading utensil made smearing the dough onto the pizza pan more like working with a thick icing rather than dough. The mix makes enough for two large round pizzas - we used half and froze the rest. (I'll update later with how it turns out after freezing.)

With this mix, you just throw your stuff on and bake! No pre-baking required...although we decided that we might try that next time to see if that changes the consistency at all.

We chose turkey sausage, tomato, and onion. YUM! The outer crust baked up nicely, browned, and was just crispy enough, while the crust under the "stuff" was chewy. The flavor? The most reminiscent of a gluten-filled pizza dough that I've made at home yet! Even better? It tastes like "real" pizza when cold (rather than a mouth full of cotton balls and sawdust like other crusts I've tried) and reheats beautifully in the toaster oven.

Uhh...anyone craving pizza?

Kelly

2 comments:

  1. I love this stuff too! It is my favorite GF pizza crust mix. I freeze individual sizes but I par baked them for about 8 minutes first. They still turn out awesome! Have you tried the french bread recipe?

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried the french bread recipe yet, but after the pizza crust turned out so well, I plan to!

    Freezing individual sizes is a great idea - I'm going to have to try that. Do you just bake them on a cookie sheet?

    ReplyDelete