6.02.2010

You know what's gluten-free? WINE.

Welcome to the first of weekly posts about the randomness that is my life. Wondering what in the world I'm talking about? Check this out.

It's Wednesday (okay, technically it's actually Tuesday, but I'm posting this on Wednesday...and I'm just so excited...so cut me some slack, okay?)...and you know what's gluten-free? WINE.

Currently enjoying: Ecco Domani Pinot Grigio
(Bad picture - sorry!)

I've always loved wine. I first discovered it in college...granted, it was in a box and very pink, but it was wine nonetheless. Since then, I've learned a lot about wine, and continue to learn with every bottle I buy and every glass I order - which is always a challenge and so much fun!

Here's the amazing thing though: since going gluten-free, my palate has gotten remarkably stronger. I can taste little intricacies of wine that I never thought I would be able to taste. I can differentiate the characteristics that make me like a wine and what makes me dislike a wine. Before, I could just tell I didn't like the taste. Now, I can delineate exactly why and then choose a better variety for my taste. One of the many unexpected benefits of a gluten-free diet!

My personal goal when trying new wine is always to find great, inexpensive bottles that I would be proud to serve to guests. Some are complete misses and taste like cough syrup...but others are surprising, and that's a big part of what makes it fun.

I love pairing food and wine - even with my limited knowledge. I love enjoying a glass with The Hubby after work. I love having girl talk over a couple of glasses of wine. And I love finding a good bottle under $20 to add to the rotation at home.

I will leave you with a wine suggestion. Take it or leave it. I absolutely LOVE Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc in the summer. It's a light, fruity, refreshing wine with tons of citrus (mostly grapefruit) notes, and you can pick up a bottle at Target (or a similar grocery store) for about $15. I've found it as cheap as $10. It's wonderful!

Cheers!
Kelly

1 comment:

  1. Great blog! Love that you're doing "do you know what's gluten free" I look forward to continue to read! =)

    ReplyDelete