7.08.2010

Breakfast in a Pinch

A couple of weekends ago, my parents came to visit. I love it when they visit us; I love having them stay in our home, regardless of the stress of guests.

The parentals don't come visit terribly often, but when they do, we almost always have something fun planned. This time, we had matinee tickets to see the musical Wicked. My parents had never been to see a big Broadway-style musical, so we were all really excited. (Side note: If you haven't seen Wicked, you HAVE to go see it. It's spectacular.)

After the show, we celebrated a belated Father's Day at Texas de Brazil, which I review here. In short: awesome meal.

The next morning I was craving breakfast (and coffee, of course) at home, mainly so we wouldn't have to battle the Sunday brunch crowds. Having totally missed the boat on any type of planning (typical), I rummaged through our pantry and refrigerator and was able to make this:


My original goal was a frittata, but after realizing we didn't have the right pan in the right size, I ended up with a crustless quiche. Kind of the same thing, right?

Here's what I did:

6 eggs, beaten
4 red potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
1 tomato (mine was fresh from my Mom's garden - yum)
1/4 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon worshester sauce
Butter (I used 2 big pats, but this part is really up to you)
Salt and pepper
Garlic powder

Put the sliced potatoes, butter, worshester sauce, salt and pepper in a microwave safe bowl. Heat covered on high for 3-4 minutes, or until potatoes are just barely fork tender, checking every minute or so.

Lay cooked potatoes out in a single layer in the pie dish of your choice.

Meanwhile, saute your onion until just translucent and slightly browned.

Mix eggs, tomato, onion, and seasonings to taste, then pour over layer of potatoes.

Bake for 30-40 minutes or until egg is firm and cooked through.

Easy! So many good things about this:
  1. You can use whatever mix-ins you have available/leftover/about to go bad/etc.
  2. You can whip it up and put it in the oven and visit with your guests or do whatever else it is that you need to be doing.
  3. It looks really pretty when you take it out of the oven, even though you didn't work that hard. Score!
  4. It is naturally gluten-free. :)
Isn't it fun learning to improvise with your food? 



No comments:

Post a Comment