3.08.2010

Catching up

Last week just got away from me! Work is starting to get hectic as we move into our busy time of the year, and my thesis deadline was today, so I've been working on that as well, and I helped throw a baby shower on Saturday, so that took up a big chunk of the day. Also trying like hell to spend any time I can with The Hubby - our schedules are so different with various commitments that we're like ships passing in the night these days. I miss our newlywed days when we came home from work, cooked dinner together, enjoyed a glass (or three) of wine, and retreated to the living room to watch TV and chat the rest of the evening. I'm definitely looking forward to returning to some version of that in the near future, if only a couple of nights a week.

Last weekend I went to Central Market for a few things, and ended up getting some great goodies. I'm pretty bad about not eating breakfast - at least not regularly - but while I was there I was craving cereal, so I  ended up buying a box of Nature's Path Organic Mesa Sunrise cereal. I tried this cereal once before after reading about it somewhere, but when I tried it the first time it tasted too "health food-y" to me. This time I liked it MUCH better.


Mmm. Once it warms up outside I'll eat cereal a lot more often - it's one of my favorite things, especially with some sort of fruit in it. 

I also picked up some freshly-made garlic chicken sausage while I was there. I've been wanting to try chicken sausage for some time, but never bought it because I wasn't sure how The Hubby would respond to it. He was all for it! You guys know I love my easy pasta, so I cooked it up, sliced it, and put it over spaghetti with Classico's Four Cheese Marinara, shredded parm, and goat cheese crumbles - it was tasty and so easy!


With spring (finally) on its way, the weather here has been inconsistent at best. Early last week it was cold and rainy, while later on in the week it was an absolutely beautiful and sunny 65 degrees. The Hubby has been craving chili, so early in the week while it was cold and rainy I got the treat of him cooking dinner! I'm not a huge chili fan and I definitely never crave it, but I do enjoy it when it's around.


I do like a lot of sour cream and cheese to offset the spiciness of the chili - plus I like the added creaminess...and hello - cheese is my favorite.

One night (I don't remember which one; I can barely remember my name these days) we had leftovers because I was feeling lazy. We had a leftover chicken breast from a meal the week before, so I built myself a chicken burger.


That monster of a sandwich is on an Ener-G Foods gluten-free english muffin, one of my favorite store-bought gluten-free baked goods. Cut this thing in half and pop it in the toaster, and it comes out amazingly soft and delicious. The flavor actually reminds me a lot of a sourdough roll, without the over-the-top chewiness. Anyway, on the sandwich is the chicken breast, a slice of havarti, dill pickle sandwich slices, a huge hunk of tomato, salt, pepper, and yellow mustard. Yes, plain yellow mustard. I love the combination of tomato, pickle, and yellow mustard. Call me crazy - The Hubby does. Top off the meal with some baked Alexia waffle fries, and...yum!

Finally, on Saturday I was one of six co-hostesses for a friend's baby shower. I was in charge of bringing cookies, and since I'm the only one that eats gluten-free, I opted to have a local bakery make them. They turned out precious!


And, after taking a big whiff of The Hubby's cookie that I saved for him and listening to him describe said cookie, I've decided that I'm going to attempt to make gluten-free sugar cookies. Should be interesing....

Hope your Mondays are going well and that your week is off to a good start!
Kelly


1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete