3.17.2010

Frozen Waffles - new find!

If you haven't picked up on it from previous posts, I LOVE Central Market. For those of you who don't live in Texas, Central Market is a chain of gourmet grocery stores that is similar to Whole Foods or Trader Joes. I grew up in a small town and was therefore oblivious to the fact that Central Market even existed until I was in college. They offer a fantastic variety of high-quality food, and while I usually go there for my gluten-free loot, I try not to do everyday shopping there. It's a little on the pricy side. Or at least it gets that way when you walk past a display of the most beautiful food you've ever seen and decide to buy 12 of whatever was displayed...at $8 a piece. Not that I would do that, mind you.

Anyway, I went to Central Market last week to pick up some gluten-free goodies since I had almost completely run out of everything (well, everything not frozen) I had purchased during my last GF extravaganza. Gluten-free stuff in the basket, check. Yummy coffee, check. I'm walking through the frozen foods aisle, and I find these:


Sweet!

In the past I've always purchased Van's Gluten-Free Waffles because they are really versatile - they're more savory than sweet, so they do well as a substitute for toast in the mornings (especially good smothered with peanut butter and banana slices...mmm). I've also used them for sandwiches in a pinch. I always have them available - I have some in my freezer right now. (Van's also has a blueberry waffle...I've just never tried it.)

The odd thing about these is that you have to thaw them out for a few minutes before you toast them. Never done that before, but hey, why not? So, I waited impatiently as my breakfast thawed and my coffee brewed... a whole new level of impatience. Hungry and caffeine-deprived? Not fun. Then popped out breakfasty goodness.


YUM. Like a lot of gluten-free things, these didn't get super brown (except on the edges), but they DID develop a great crunch. The center was really creamy (but not underdone-tasting by any stretch of the imagination), and the waffles had the perfect bit of sweetness. As suggested right on the box, I drizzled honey over them - something I've never done before with a waffle - and it was a fabulous breakfast. Writing this is making me want some right now.

I'll have to give the Van's blueberry waffles a try to see how those compare - but the Central Market waffles have definitely won me over!

Kelly

1 comment:

  1. YUM! Van's GF Minis are my usual go to waffle, but these look delicious! The Van's blueberry are not very blueberry, just slightly sweet. I will have to pick up a box next time I am at CM! Thanks for the review!!

    ReplyDelete