3.01.2010

Long time no see!

Well hello there. It's been a while. Nice to see you. What have you been up to?

I have been MIA for over a week now. Sorry! I caught a nasty 24-hour(ish) stomach bug and couldn't eat for almost two days, and then food wasn't appealing at all for a while, so as you can imagine, that made thinking and writing about food incredibly difficult. I'm baaaaaaaaack.

I was diagnosed with Celiac two years ago..and last week was the first time that I've been sick enough to need bland food since then. As you might be thinking...chicken noodle soup, dry toast, and saltines pose quite the problem to a gluten-free eater such as myself, and since you're reading this, probably you, too. The nurse at my doctor's office told me to basically eat a "bread diet" for a few days....uh, what? Luckily I had a loaf of Udi's gluten-free whole grain bread in the freezer (I usually don't keep bread around but had picked some up randomly during my GF shopping spree), but when The Hubby offered to go to the store to pick up the necessities - ginger ale, sprite, soup, etc - I had no idea what to tell him. Being the amazingly talented Googler that he is, he found that Progressive Chicken and Wild Rice soup was gluten-free. Score!


I'm not a huge fan of canned soups, but this one was pretty good and definitely served its purpose. It's also really nice to know that in case of emergencies, this soup is gluten-free. I've also heard that their mushroom soup is gluten-free and can be used easily in place of cream of mushroom soup in casseroles and whatever else you need it for. I'll have to try that soon - I love casseroles and miss them dearly. Side note/rant: stupid Campbell's and their gluteny soups. ALL of them have wheat flour in them. WHY?! Ugh.

So, for the majority of the week I lived on canned soup because it's all I could stomach. Toward the end of the week I was tired of eating starches, so I made two ginormous salads at two different salad bars. Mmm.

Are you still awake? Yes, I realize my week was boring. But I'm back to my old self! And, I actually get to go home before 9:00 PM every night this week, so dinner at home is something I'm really looking forward to.

Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment