3.21.2010

Spring!

Spring is finally officially here. I don't know why, but this winter has seemed forever long. The amazing snow day that we had a month or so ago was a day I'll never forget, but it's time for some warm Texas weather. There are so many exciting things happening this spring and summer...I just can't wait.

We had our last cold spell over the weekend, so I decided to fit in one last cozy pot roast for good measure. The last time I made pot roast, I was pretty dissatisfied with how it turned out, but this time it was perfect.


This is one of my favorite comfort foods. My grandmother made it, my mom made it, and now I'm trying to perfect it. They did theirs on the oven; I'm trying to get mine just right in the crock pot. Here's what I do:

  • 1 chuck roast, big enough for your family (ours was about 4 pounds)
  • 5 large red potatoes, quartered
  • 1/2 to full small bag baby carrots (depending on what we ahve)
  • 1/2 to full onion (again, depending on what we have - but we like a whole onion in ours), sliced
  • 1 can gluten-free cream of mushroom/chicken/celery soup
  • salt and pepper to taste


Layer the quartered potatoes in the bottom of the slow cooker, followed by the carrots, then the onions. Season the vegetables. Season the meat with salt and pepper, then place on top of the vegetables with the fattiest side up. Pour the cream soup over the roast, then top with a couple of slices of onion if desired. Cook on low for 7 hours.

That's it! Easiest thing ever, especially when you cut up the potatoes and onions the night before. We usually have a side salad with it for some extra veggies.

No matter what I do, I can't get it to taste like my mom's or grandmother's...but then again, I can't do it with any recipe. What's up with that? 

Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment