1.27.2010

You would think...

...that after 2 years of maintaining a gluten free diet that I would learn not to assume.

I have gotten better about it, but every so often I catch myself forgetting to read labels before I buy something at the grocery store or assuming that a certain food doesn't contain gluten. I get comfortable and forget that I have to be careful.

Case in point - pie. My department at work does birthday pie instead of birthday cake, which I originally thought was awesome, considering I assumed I could just eat the filling of the pie, avoid the crust, and be fine. Which has worked in the past with cheesecake and other delicious deserts contained by a shell of gluten. (See - this is where my gluten line is fuzzy where others' are very black and white. Please don't hate me or judge me because I still eat pie out of a gluten-y shell and consider that okay for the most part.) Anyway, yesterday was birthday pie day for one of my beloved coworkers, complete with both chocolate cream pie and coconut cream pie to choose from. YUM! Being one to always find an excuse for eating something bad for me, I opted for the choice that was clearly the healthy option - coconut (hello, it's a fruit!) - and had my way with the absolutely to-die-for filling and perfect whipped cream topping. I even had a second piece today from the leftovers. Then it dawned on me that I ought to find out if the filling has gluten in it - and after lots of google searching and frustration, found out that I basically have a 50/50 chance of one of the ingredients being wheat flour...or cornstarch. Fingers crossed for cornstarch. I have a call into the bakery (who of course thing I'm nuts) and will hopefully find out tomorrow.

Ugh. I hate that I do this sometimes. I feel like there is still so much to learn! It's really hard to completely change your lifestyle after 25 years of living it one way. Maybe by the time I'm 50 I'll have all this figured out. At least it doesn't make me super sick - although that doesn't mean it's not doing damage or causing me a sweet rash on my elbows (more on that later).

Hope your luck is better than mine today!
Kelly

3 comments:

  1. I don't think I would even try to eat the filling out of a pie if i knew it had gluten in it. Not judging but what do your insides say? Hope all turns out well with you, we all make assumptions-food is emotional, not logical

    Angel
    Gluten Free Life TV

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are probably right - not one of my better ideas. :) Luckily, my insides were fine with it (as I've said in previous posts, I'm not super-sensitive), but in the grand scheme of things, I'd be better off not even risking it. Live and learn, right?

    And I love your point about food being emotional, not logical. Such a great way to put it!

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great article Kelly. Very insightful & "Real"... every little ingredient can lead down a research-filled path of discovery... Both those pies did sound sooooo Tasty though:) Hope the bakery has good info for you on this.

    ReplyDelete